The Independent Evaluation Office of the Global Environment Facility is requesting expressions of interest from individual consultants for the review of the GEF Information Portal.
To prepare OPS7, the GEF IEO will draw from the evaluations that it has conducted, and from several targeted reviews to gather additional evidence. This includes an evaluation of the Results Based Management approach of the GEF, with particular focus on the new project management and information portal (the GEF Portal).
The GEF portal – including its earlier incarnation as PMIS – provides a platform to store, manage and retrieve data on GEF projects and program. This includes data related to project appraisal, implementation, performance and results, that may be aggregated. The quality of PMIS data and its accessibility have been longstanding concerns that have been reported in several evaluations. During GEF-7, GEF shifted to a new platform – the GEF Portal – to manage data on its activities and make it accessible to a wide range of GEF partners and other stakeholders. The roll out of the Portal is still ongoing and it is yet to achieve its full functionality.
The evaluation will assess the performance of the GEF portal to assess the improvement over the previous PMIS system and evaluate whether the portal meets good practice standards for project information compared with other systems of project information used in multilateral organizations and partnerships, meeting the project information and quality requirements of internal stakeholders within the GEF partnership including the GEF Secretariat, the Agencies, GEF IEO, the Council, and Operational Focal Points, as well as for external stakeholders as part of the disclosure policy. The evaluation will also identify the factors that affect the functionality of the Portal. The evaluation will also assess the extent to which the GEF Portal facilitates knowledge management across the GEF partnership through good practice in data collection, quality assurance of information and the extent to which its users may retrieve information for decision making and for knowledge sharing.
The selected consultant will be part of the team undertaking the evaluation.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The consultant will be part of a two member team. The consultant will perform following tasks:
- Develop a framework for assessing the quality and usefulness of the portal based on established benchmarks as well as gather data from comparator partnerships and organizations with portals designed to meet similar objectives
- Evaluate system performance through observation and use of the system functions based on the benchmarks developed.
- Gather information from interview of portal designers and administrators on the key considerations and challenges in designing and administration of the Portal.
- Gather data from users that input data and/or use data from the Portal, to understand user perspective on utility of the Portal.
- Recommend improvements from a technical and user standpoint.
The candidate should have following qualifications:
- A Master’s degree or higher.
- Ideally 10-15 years of work experience in international development.
- Proven expertise in developing and using or evaluating project management information systems of international organizations.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analysis skills.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in English.
- Excellent skills in preparing reports and other analytical outputs.
Compensation, payments and other arrangements
The assignment will be for 30 work days. The consultant daily rate will be determined following the World Bank rules and procedures. International travel is not anticipated. However, in case such travel is required, it would be undertaken following the World Bank rules and procedures for such travel.
Interested consultants are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest in English, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Short-Term Consultant for Review of GEF Information Portal ” in the subject. The application should include a CV and a cover letter expressing how their work experience fits the qualifications above. The application deadline is April 13, 2020.
Read full description