The IEO is conducting an evaluation of the role of medium size projects in the GEF partnership, hereafter referred to as the ‘MSP evaluation’. The main objective is to evaluate the progress made since the last evaluation and assess the extent to which the MSP modality is achieving its intended role. The evaluation will also assess the relevance of the MSP within the GEF suite of modalities, asses the efficiency of MSPs in the GEF, and provide recommendations on the way forward for the MSP.
The MSP evaluation is being conducted through a mixed methods approach encompassing both quantitative and qualitative methods and tools (see the Approach Paper). Selection of case study countries draws upon ongoing national and regional projects and projects which have been completed in 2013 or later, having Annual Performance Review (APR) ratings for outcomes and sustainability.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The IEO is seeking a consultant to contribute to the MSP evaluation. The consultant will primarily be responsible to conduct an assessment on the role of the MSP as a GEF instrument, the use of MSPs, the impact and scalability, and the governance and administrative procedures applied to the use of MSPs as an instrument of the GEF. The tasks include:
- Interviews with management, country focal points and project team leads on the utility and effectiveness of the MSP as an instrument, and the complementarities with other GEF instruments
- Provide advice on, and assist in the development of desk reviews, selection of case studies and field visit protocols for the evaluation
- Analyze data and information gathered through document and portfolio reviews, meta-evaluation, quality-at-entry reviews, interviews, and field visits and complete three case studies
- Contribute to data and method triangulation, gap analysis
- Complete a draft evaluation report to be discussed with stakeholders
The IEO will provide quality assurance, methodological support and technical inputs (such as the project documents database) as well as access to the documentation.