The FAO Office of Evaluation (OED) anchors the evaluation function in the Organization. Evaluation at FAO provides results accountability to both member countries and the Director-General, giving more in-depth understanding and objective basis for their decision-making and oversight. Evaluation also contributes to corporate learning, feeding lessons into a robust feedback loop. Evaluation provides a sound basis for improvements in the Organization's programmes in terms of their relevance to countries, definition of objectives, their design and implementation. The Office also participates in system-wide evaluation initiatives, thereby contributing to assessments of development effectiveness by the UN system.
The Evaluation Officer reports to the Director, OED.
Programme and project evaluations.
The planning and conduct of evaluation assignments, thereby contributing to enhanced results-accountability to FAO stakeholders; as well as contributions to improved results-based management by the Organization, and the development of evaluation function and methodologies in OED.
• Leads evaluations of programmes, programme components or clusters of projects;
• Composes and manages project evaluation teams;
• Prepares evaluation reports and related materials;
• Presents findings, conclusions and recommendations of evaluation reports to key stakeholders;
• Contributes to quality assurance process, quality controls and assists in quality enhancement of evaluations conducted by others;
• Keeps abreast of methodological developments in evaluation and contributes to the development of evaluation methodologies and tools;
• Liaises and collaborates with other units of the Organization with a view to promoting results-based evaluation culture and enhanced learning from evaluations;
• Liaises and collaborates with the evaluation units of other United Nations organizations as well as professional evaluation bodies;
• Performs other duties as required.